Monday, April 8, 2013

A Note From Suzanne Fernandes




     As I prepare to embark on my second trip with Operation Walk Boston to The Dominican Republic, I am starting to experience a flood of thoughts and emotions. As a nurse representing Brigham and Women’s Hospital I am so proud and honored to share this collective responsibility of bringing life changing care to the wonderful and appreciative orthopedic patients that we will serve again this year.                
     As I reflect back on my own experience with Operation Walk last year I always return to the wonderful team of doctors, physical therapists, OR technicians, nurses and volunteers who worked tirelessly to make the mission a success, but most of all it is the faces of the patients that I see with their smiles and often tears of joy after walking for the first time after surgery. These patients are so brave and work so hard learning what they need to know in order to care for themselves after their joint replacement surgery.
     I cannot wait to see the patients from last year in our post-op clinic visits, I know it will
 re-confirm why this mission of care is so important to all of us and truly an amazing gift
to our patients in the Dominican Republic.

Suzanne Fernades

No comments: